Feast for all

 

You know, Christmas is my 2nd favourite time of the year (autumn being my favourite). But one thing I especially like at Christmas is the feast. Sitting down with family and friends and enjoying a good nosh up with fun and laughter and some good food. It reminds me of being a kid at my grans on my mother’s side of the family. We would often spend Christmas there. And when I say we, I mean the whole family. My gran had 13 kids and they all had kids too, some even 6 of them, so it was a huge affair in a small council house, but it was awesome. I remember the giant tree that would bend over the ceiling, the fingers getting rattled for trying to get the pudding bowl before it was emptied and loads of pressies under the tree. But I especially remember us all trying to fit around the table to eat the feast that was prepared. Man, it was great.

But another reason for me to remember what’s so special about the feast is about a guy called Mephibosheph. Mephiboseth was a guy in the old testament, in the book of Samuel. He was Jonathan’s Son (king Saul was his grandfather) and he was also disabled due to a bad accident.

He wasn’t anything special to be honest and if you actually look at the places it talks about him he is practically condemned to die. See, when Kings in the Old Testament were usurped, normally all their family would be put to death, close and distant family. SO, you can imagine Mephiboseth’s predicament. The King (Saul) was gone, Jonathan gone, all his family gone and as someone who is disabled, he couldn’t even get away from what was happening. He knew he was in trouble and feared for his life.

Yet, what astounds me is that we find him at King David’s table (2nd Samuel 9), eating with the highest honoured people from David’s court with family and friends alike. And he is treated as an honoured guest. He is eating all the best food that been prepared. See, King David had made a promise. He had promised to spare Mephibosheph’s life. And that’s exactly what he did. He not just spared him, but he honoured him, brought him into his family and treated him as such.

So, what’s so special about this little story for me??

Simple really, it reminds me that I too have a feast to come, there is a feast being prepared for me in the Kingdom of heaven. Jesus, who died for me, while I am deserving condemnation and death, have been brought into the family of God. Brought into a place of honour amongst God’s chosen people, to sit with those of amazing faith from the scriptures and beyond. To sit with Jesus and eat, eat, eat to my heart’s content.

There is an amazing feast to come for anyone who excepts God’s favour and just like Jonathan pleaded for his sons life to David, we too have one who pleads on our behalf to our Father in heaven, Jesus Christ.

So, today. Are you going to ask to sit at the feast of Christ, let me tell you, it’s gonna be amazing.



Comments