Falling from grace

 Was thinking today about a passage of scripture our minister gave in the morning service. It's one of the ones that always makes me cringe and want to cry out with a large scream (REALLY!!!!).

It's one of the sayings that over the last 6 months that has got my heckles up, along with a few other passages that the Scriptures give to those who belong to God.

Jude 1:24a  Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling

See, my problem is i have been struggling with God's word in areas where He says things that insinuate that He will always be ther for me//us/them. That no matter what goes in in life, that God will always be there.

Why do these words iritate me or make me angry and want to scream out at God? Well the truth is that sometimes my life with God has been hard going. Iv'e been mentally and emotionally abused to the point that at times iv'e even thought of giving up, ending it all or just cutting myself off from everyone and everything. Iv'e been in dark pits that overcome me that there has been times iv'e not been able to function as a normal human being. Iv'e had times of fear when i'm not wanting to go out out of fear of being hurt, abused, mistreaded, walked-over by cruel individuals in the world (and sometimes from inside the church).

So, passages like this always get to me and for the most part they ruin my day and sometimes my week even.

Yet. Today, when i heard these words, i didn't want to scream at my minister or God. I was actually able to sit down and contemplate some things that the scriptures teach. And i came to the realisation that God indeed does stop me from falling and it's more the fact that i begin to fall when i drift away from Him. See, God is immovable in His nature and His character as my minister said. SO, in times of lifes troubles afflicting me it's because i have moved myself away from following God.

It made me think about another passage that has been in my mind the last month.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

Coming to Jesus isnt just a case of wishful thinking and theological understanding (although the latter is good) and it isnt what we come to Jesus with a wish list that we think He is gonna give us everything we ask for. No, it's more that we put on Jesus, we immitate His word's and lifestyle, We do what He did and in doing so we stop falling.

So, now when i look at these passages i have to be honest with myself when i want to scream to/at God. It's me who has drifted away from doing what He asks of me. It's me who has drifted away, even in my moments of zeal (sometimes mis-focused) that have caused the pain, caused the fallings and failures. It's me who has not listened to His calming prescence or His reassuring word. 

One of the things i have learnt over the years is this. God doesnt want us to justify our lifes or positions or to blame others when things go wrong. Theres an old saying, theres 3 sides to a story, each persons and God's. 

So, today, im not going to try and justify my pain or be angry at God or those who have hurt me in the past. No, im going to take responsibility for my part in not seeking God through His Son and repent. Admit i did and have done wrong in my life, come to Him humbly knowing that He never fails me or leaves me, let Him heal me and change me into the likeness of His Son Jesus Christ and rejoice knowing that He never Fails.

Blessings one and all




Comments